Re: Document / Script for automating cross-compiler build

David Williams wrote:

> The compiler that is built seems to not output line terminators in the verbose
> output (as it use to). I end up with very long lines of verbose (-v) information
> from the compiler. I have been using V6 of David Fiddes coldfire binaries (ECGS
> 1.1.2) and the output of verbose information in that was fine. Where should I
> start looking?

Don't know anything about this. I have not used the -v option... don't know why it
would not work. (Maybe I'll look at that later.)

> Why should I prefer elf to coff for an m68k embedded target?

I'd like to know the answer to this myself. ELF is newer (so it must be better,
right?). I would assume that any new emulators/simulators/debugging tools that get
information from object files might either only work with ELF or at least work better
with ELF. I believe that ELF provides support for shared objects (like DLLs), whereas
COFF does not (I could be wrong), but this would not matter for embedded stuff I
imagine.

I'd like to use ELF right now, since I'm afraid I'll want to move to it later (for
whatever reason I'm not sure right now), but I'm having trouble with section
alignment. I did have trouble with section alignment using COFF, but got it
straightened out. At the moment I do not seem to be able to control section alignment
with ELF as well, but have more investigation to do there.

I think Kai Ruottu had some helpful advice about this a while ago, but I forget what
he said.

> I was examining your script to determine what things it does so that I can build
> individual pieces of the system as required. More specifically I think I will need
> to modify some functions in newlib and was wondering how that was built. I could
> not see any specific commands that built newlib so I assume that the --with-newlib
> option when building GCC also causes newlib to be built. Can you confirm this? How
> would I just build newlib?

There is a command in the first section of the script (where it extracts the source
code) to make a symbolic link to the newlib directory from within the gcc source
directory. This along with the --with-newlib option cause the build to be done with
newlib instead of GNU's run-time library.

It might not be advisable to build newlib separately from gcc. That would exceed my
knowledge of this whole gcc build environment. I don't know. I have done some tweaking
of newlib, but just reran the entire build again, just to be safe. Separating the
building of gcc from newlib seems like a valid thing to want to do. Someone else will
have to answer that one.

Chris
begin:vcard
n:Bahns;Christopher