#define in assembler file

I am attempting to create an object file from my sh-hms-gcc
crosscompiler with an example *.s file that I have. But I noticed the
following when I type the line below:

./sh-hms-gcc -o initsh.o initsh.s

/var/tmp/ccaJD08h.o(.text+0x20):InitSh.S: undefined reference to 'WCR1'

This is only one of many. When I look at my initsh.s example file for
the lines concerning WCR1 I find the following:

#define WCR1	0x05FFFFA2

...and further down...

	.long	WCR1

I noticed however there is no problems with the use of the two byte word
such as:

#define INIT_WCR1	0x05FD

....further down...

	.word INIT_WCR1

Why am I having these errors with the long words?  Thanks for your help.

Robert F.