Invalid Operands with Inline assembly

I am attempting to embed inline assembly into my C code but during the
compilation, I keep getting the error "invalid operands for opcode".
Here is one of my lines:

asm("mov %r14, %r15");

I don't see why this should cause an error.  mov is a valid Hitachi SH
opcode, r14 and r15 are valid registers, the quotations are necessary as
well as the % before each register.  I don't see what else I am
missing.  I am using my Hitachi cross-compiler I built which has been
working like a champion except when I use inline assembly.  Is there
some parameter I need to add on the Command Line before I compile my
file?

Thanks for any help.

Robert F.