Re: cross-compiling & debugging embedded-linux apps

I had pretty good luck running gdb on the target with my sources NFS
mounted.  You can talk to its command line from a telnet window, which
is pretty acceptable unless you're addicted to those eye-candy GUIs
that smear lipstick on the gdb chicken...<g>

On 12/31/99, 8:28:50 AM, Jim Lewis <jlewis@mvista.com> wrote regarding
Re: cross-compiling & debugging embedded-linux apps:

> Brendan J Simon wrote:

> > I have a powerpc embedded system (MPC860, 4MB Flash, 16MB RAM,
ethernet,
> > rs232).  I have compiled the kernel and can boot it using a root
> > filesystem via initrd or nfs.  The root filesystem is a minimal one
that
> > was on the linuxppc-embedded ftp site.  It basically has /bin/sh,
> > /bin/ls and a few libraries in /lib.
> >
> > I NEED to be able to compile apps from the sources.  I have managed to
> > cross-compile ncurses and bash.  I can't get bash to run at all (even
> > statically compiled version).  I get segmentaion faults.  I'm
currently
> > using SASH which I have cross-compiled as a static binary.  I compiled
> > test app (bjs1.c) which outputs a string every second.  It is compiled
> > as a static binary (bjs1-static) and a shared binary (bjs1-shared).
The
> > static binary works but the shared one does not.  I assume it is some
> > library problem but I can't figure out what.

> I think you are right. What libraries are you linking against? I think
the the
> minroot FS from the embedded FTP site uses libc 1.99. I have had
nothing but
> trouble when trying to mix libraries.

> If you did build against different libraries, one way you could do is
> create a new directory for your shared application and the shared
objects you
> linked against. Make sure to include the ld.so.1 executable. Then, at
the
> target SASH prompt, issue the following:
> > /test/ld.so.1 --library-path /test /test/bjs1-shared

> > The output of the sash
> > session is below.
> >
> > Stand-alone shell (version 1.0)
> > > ./bjs1-static
> > BJS1: Brendan was here
> > BJS1: Brendan was here
> > BJS1: Brendan was here
> > pid 7: killed (signal 2)
> > >
> > > ./bjs1-shared
> > pid 8: killed (signal 11)
> > >

> > I have all the libraries on the root filesystem.  The rpc.nfsd daemon
> > seems to read the entire file but sash says the process is killed with
> > signal 11 (segmentation fault).  I have no idea how to debug this.  I
> > don't think there is a simulator for the mpc860 as part of gdb.  Is
> > there a way of debugging this on the target with powerpc-gdb and an
> > ethernet or serial connection ?

> Yes, there is. Dan posted some gdbserver sources a while back. That
allows you
> to do cross debug. But you are likely to have the same problems
building
> gdbserver that you are having with your simple test application.

> > How does the kernel know where to look for libraries ?  I assume there
> > are some default locations like /lib.  I haven't got an ld.so.conf
setup
> > nor do I have ldconfig.

> The 'default' location seems to be built in to the executable.
Usually,

http://lists.linuxppc.org/