Re: Crosscompiling native compiler

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Brian Ford wrote:

> I believe that this is just a special case of what is known as a "Canadian
> cross".
A "real" "Canadian cross" is when BUILD, HOST and TARGET are different,
isn't it?
Maybe I want a "Alaska cross". ;-)

> > > As for  RTFM  look for it in the to gcc directory eithther under install or
> > > INSTALL
> > I never heard of that file! ;-)
> >
> info gcc ? :)
What's "info"? ;-)
No, the info-page doesn't give more information than the INSTALL file.

> > ./configure --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --host=m68k-unknown-linux m68k-unknown-linux # output will be "Links are now set up to build a native compiler for m68k-unknown-linux"
> Here                                                                ^
>
> Specifing m68k-unknown-linux here tells configure you are building on that
> type of host.  That is not correct and you should let it guess that
The target-option was missing.
Actually I get it now compiled with
  ./configure m68k-unknown-linux
The configure-script then recognizes that HOST and TARGET are equal. It
says that it's now configured for "building a native compiler for
m68k-unknown-linux".
That's ok, but I have to do some patches for the Makefile to get gcc-,
cc1- and more files, which are actually compiled as ELF-m68k-files.

> anyway.  Also note that it is generally a good idea to build in a seperate
> tree from the source.  GNU as and ld should be automatically detected so
> these options are not needed.  Try:
>
> ./configure --host=m68k-unknown-linux --target=m68k-unknown-linux

= "./configure m68k-unknown-linux"
like configure-script says.
You say "Specifing m68k-unknown-linux here tells configure you are
building on that type of host", but why get I ELF-i386-executables?
I trust the script. ;-)

> letting configure guess that build=i386-*-*.
I never specified BUILD. I just mentioned it for you to understand what I
want.

Some things in the Makefile of gcc-2.7.2.3 makes me think, that it can
never work as it should. Example given:
A binary executable "xgcc" is compiled, which is used to make more
compilations. But this xgcc will be the final gcc. But how can I use the
final gcc in ELF-m68k-format to compile things in a later stage of
compilation?

Now I got my native m68k-gcc compiled, but I didn't test it yet.
Without my bunch of patches the configure-script says "set up for native
m68k" but finally I got only ELF-i386-executables instead of ELF-m68k.
Actually I needed my already installed i386-m68k-cross-gcc instead of
"./xgcc".

I will make a kind of "Mini-HOWTO". For me, for others, for entertaining
you. ;-)
But first I should test the gcc on m68k-linux...

Frank

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum."
A.C. Clarke

Sending unsolicited commercial email to this address may be a violation
of the Washington State Consumer Protection Act, chapter 19.86 RCW.
Das Verschicken unverlangter kommerzieller email an diese Adresse ist
verboten (LG Traunstein, 2 HK O 3755/97 vom 14.10.1997, CR 1998, 171f).