Re: size of code gcc creates (was "m68k-coff-gcc and NOPs")

Scott A Sumner wrote:

> Speaking of being out of prom space, from what I've been able to
> determine, gcc is a pig when it comes to code space.
>
> My application is buildable under two toolsets, Fiddes' gcc version 4 and
> Mentor Graphics Microtec Research version 4.4.  Here's a comparison of
> code (ROM) sizes with the two toolsets:
>
> gcc:  655KB
> Microtec:  560KB
>
> As you can see, the code produced by gcc is almost 17% bigger--quite a
> disparity!
>
> Anyone have an opinion as to why this is so?
I don't think a 17% difference is much when you compare different
compilers. You can have much larger differences for the same compiler
using different compiler options (which interacts subtly with how you
write your code) or different versions of the same compiler (which I
have experienced with gcc for 68K). Different compilers are designed
and implemented differently and are you sure exactly the same optimizations
are performed?
--
	Ola Liljedahl