cross-gcc: powerpc-linux headers and libraries

I'm trying to cross-compile gcc-2.95.2 for a powerpc-linux target.  I
have previously cross-compiled egcs-1.1.2 by preinstalling headers and
libraries from a yellowdog distribution to $prefix/$target/include and
$prefix/$target/lib as suggested by Kai Ruotto (thanks Kai).  I am
having problems trying to run dynamic binaries on my mpc860 target so I
thought I'd update my tools.  I saw that there were some changes in the
glibc cvs tree for mpc8xx processors so I want to cross-compile that as
well.  I basically want to be able to cross-compile all the tools from
sources without using binaries from other distributions if possible.

I tried configuring gcc with the --with-headers=<glibc-path>/include.
It copied the header files to $prefix/$target/sys-include.  Make gave
errors because these files include other files like <stdlib/stdlib.h> .
These do not look like standard include paths to me.  These files are in
the root directory of the glibc sources, so I decided that I would copy
the directories it complained about to $prefix/$target/sys-include.  I'm
not sure if it was the right thing to do but it seemed like the least
destructive.  That fixed some of the problems but make now complains
about gnu/stubs.h not being found.  I went to copy the gnu directory but
it has nothing in it.  What is the stubs.h file and where do I get it.
Is it architecture specific ?

Is this the right thing to do with --with-headers ?

How do I get the right headers from the glibc sources to the right place
?
Which ones do I need  ?

Where should they go ?  I thought $prefix/$target/include was the
directory for the include files, not $prefix/$target/sys-include.

Thanks for any help,
Brendan Simon.