Re: Confusion on 'specs' file in m68k-aout cross compiler build...

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Brendan J Simon wrote:

> Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
>
> >         I am attempting to build a cross compiler for the m68k-aout target
> > (building a 68008 based computer for a college class, and don't want to
> > write the monitor in assembly :), on my Debian 2.2 potato (frozen/updated
> > 2/26/2000) x86 machine.
> >         So, it looks like specs file for the cross compiler is not being
> > moved out of the way when the system's gcc compiler is being used, and
> > that cross-compiler spec file is messing up the works. I know that my
> > solution is probably a pretty horrible hack, but it does work. Now, might
> > someone explain how this problem should be fixed cleanly? Thanks.
>
> I'm not an expert on the internals of the gcc build system, but as far as I know
> the native compiler should not be using the specs file in the current directory.
> It should be using the specs file in usr/lib/... (eg.
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.7.2.3/specs).  "gcc -v" will tell you which
> specs file is being used.  gcc only overrides the default if the -specs option is
> given on the command line.

	Hmm... That is very interesting, as on my Debian Potato (2.2)
machine, this what gcc is saying:

$ rm ./specs
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)
$ touch specs
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from ./specs
gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)

Now, if I repeat the experiment on on a Debian Slink (2.1) machine, the
results are different:

$ rm ./specs
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.3
$ touch specs
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.3

I think I have found a bug in the new gcc in Debian Potato! I looked at
the Debian bugs list, and there is not mention of this problem. Looked at
the changelog for the same package, and still no mention of this issue.
Not even anything in the debian-devel mailing list archives. I will post
to the debian-devel and find out what is going on. Thanks for the pointer.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |