Re: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables (target=m68k-elf host=i686-pc-linux-gnu)

I am presently addressing similar problems in trying to build a cross
compiler for target=i486-elf host=i686-pc-linux-gnu, and I've made some
progress on that, but I'm still a bit away from success.  Nevertheless, I'm
pretty sure that the  "cannot make executables" comes from not having all
the target libs available while building gcc-2.95.2 (especially the
'libiberty' portion thereof.)

The necessity of pre-installing needed headers and libs is discussed in
"Using and Porting the GNU Compiler Collection" by Richard M. Stallman.
I've not found that document (specific to version 2.95.2) available on the
net, but in a Red Hat 6.1 system you can install Tex and produce it from the
current sources yourself.  The input file comes with the current source
tarball, as 'gcc-2.95.2/gcc/gcc.texi'.

So cd <whatever>/gcc-2.95.2/gcc and do "tex gcc.texi", which will produce
gcc.dvi, a dvi file.  Then convert that to postscript: "dvips -o gcc.ps
gcc.dvi".  At that point I used mcopy to send it to my MSDOS partition and
then ran it through Acrobat Distiller to yield a .pdf file which I could
view and print.

The instructions are somewhat less than blindingly obvious even there, but
the info can be gleaned from it.  Another source of info is the Linux GCC
HOWTO, which I obtained from ftp.linux.org.uk/~barlow/linux/GCC-HOWTO.html.

I might note that the crossGCC FAQ does not address this issue, and thus
seemed to be a source of significant confusion in my earlier attempts.  So,
good luck (to us both!)

Richard Bowser,
Engineer
Thunder Scientific Corporation