Building cross-compiler for Alpha-linux on i686-linux

Let me preface this by saying that I do have a good reason for all of
this:

I am trying to build a cross compiler that will run on a Pentium II
(under Linux) and generate executables for a DS10 AlphaStation running
linux.  I have read the crossGCC FAQ (like 200 times) and several other
documents about building gcc cross compilers, and I haven't seen this
covered.

    I first tried to build the compiler by following the instructions in
the crossGCC FAQ.  This worked fine for building cross-assembler,
cross-linkers, etc from binutils source, but failed on the gcc build
with error messages about not being able to find string.h, stdlib.h and
unistd.h.  After poking through a bunch of docs, I came to the
conclusion that I should tar up the /usr/include tree on my DS10, ftp it
to my i686 and use the --with-headers flag to configure to include it in
the build.  After a couple of false starts (I had to include the
/usr/src/linux-2.2.13/include tree from the DS10 as well), I got past
the header problem, but then I got a different error.  When configuring
for the libstdc++ build during the make, the configure script checked to
see if the C compiler (the version of GCC I just built, presumably)
worked, and it said no ... specifically, it said that the C compiler
could not create executables.  After thinking about this for a while, I
came to the conclusion that I probably needed to provide some libraries
libc, libm, crtn and stuff like that.  I ftp'ed the ones I thought I
would need from the DS10, reconfigured with --with-libs set to the
appropriate location, and the build failed again with the same error.

    So I am just hoping that some kind guru out there (who has kept
reading this far) can offer some help to me.  Right now I am going to
have a beer, or else my laptop is likely to simulate a frisbee.  Thanks
in advance for any help.

Dave Moore