Re: How to build a cross compiler from x86 linux to mips little endian linux

Pete Buechler wrote:

> On Saturday 04 November 2000 07:38 am, Qingbo Wu wrote:
> > I want to build a cross compiler from X86 linux to mips
> > little endian linux. But I do not know how to change
> > configure, then the gcc-2.95.2 can support little endian
> > mips linux. If someone knows, please help me.
>
> gcc-2.95.2 is broken for the mips target, you need to use an older
> version of the compiler. The linux-vr project uses egcs-1.03a. I
> suggest you take a look at  http://www.linux-vr.org/tools.html. But if
> MIPS worked then the correct configuration option would be
> --target=mipsel-linux
> --
> Pete Buechler
> Developer, SuSE Labs
> peterb@suse.com
> http://www.suse.com/~peterb

 Another guy from SuSE seems to disagree a little ;-) A clip from the
glibc-2.2 FAQ :

------------------ clip -------------------------------------------------
1.20.	Which tools should I use for MIPS?

{AJ} You should use the current development version of gcc 2.97 from CVS.
gcc 2.95.x does not work correctly on mips-linux.

You need also recent binutils, anything before and including 2.10 will not
work correctly.  Either try the Linux binutils 2.10.0.33 from HJ Lu or the
current development version from CVS of binutils.

For details check also my page <http://www.suse.de/~aj/glibc-mips.html>.
------------------ clip -------------------------------------------------

 The Andreas Jaeger's (if the 'aj' was remembered ok...) page could be
checked for more info, like:

------------------ clip -------------------------------------------------
Current Status
  With the current binutils from CVS (see http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils )
  and the current GCC from CVS (see http://gcc.gnu.org (an alternative is Ralf's
  egcs 1.1.2 patch (from ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/src/egcs/egcs-1.1.2.diff.gz),
  I'm now able to build the whole glibc.
------------------ clip -------------------------------------------------

 The MontaVista 'HardHat' distributions also include prebuilt tools (and
sources for them) for the MIPS-target. I'm not sure about if both endiannesses
were available as prebuilt, anyway their page is at: www.mvista.com. The HardHat
is aimed for embedded use and the prebuilt tools support now only RedHat (6.x)
as the host. I would expect the asker's 'mips little endian linux' meaning an
embedded-Linux, not a SGI-Linux for their workstation, not a Linux for the ACE's
ARC-standard etc...

 BTW, my experience about binary-compatability on Linux with the AMD Hammer simulator
says that this binary for RedHat 6.2 don't work on Mandrake 7, while the binary
for SuSE 6.4 will work on Mandrake 7 and probably vice versa... Those who want
to download prebuilt tools, must nowadays seemingly switch to RedHat, because
all the prebuilt tools seem to be available at least for it... Very sad, I would
have expected much better binary compatability between all those 'linux-2.2.x &
glibc-2.1.x' based distributions...

Cheers, Kai