RE: -Qy

 [Cc: line snipped a bit]

>  What version of cygwin are you using and which version of NT (I have
>2k/NTFS and cygwin dll 1.1.8 on a Dell Inspiration c600?) The
>cygwin tools,
>on my system, do not consistently reference the / directory
>properly whereas
>they do when I specify the drive (ala dos) I don't know why this is
>different then the way cygwin is working on your system but...

  I can't tell you offhand, but I think I remember trying out 1.1.8,
finding it gave me problems, and going back a version or two.  I didn't
get this message until today (monday) at work, and I need to check on my
PC at home this evening to be sure what version I have installed.

  In the meantime, send the output from 'cygcheck -s -v -r -h' and I'll
take a look over it for you; perhaps I can find something obvious.

  The use of '/' to refer to the root of the cygwin installation is really
fundamental to cygwin's structure, and is very very very much *meant* to
work; you could have run up against a bug or something could just have
gotten messed up in your cygwin configuration somehow, but I promise you,
cygwin works properly with unix-style paths!

     DaveK
--
 All your base are belong to us!

the system manager.