RE: cygwin arm-elf-linux gcc build failure

I must confess, just knowing is the reason. I've never been worth a damn at
moving on and using something unless I have an understanding of how it
works. I think this really is a fundamental personality flaw 8-)

And trying to make this applicable to more than just my personal neurosis,
it does seem that a good portion of the questions coming across this list
are related to improper inclusion of the necessary headers and libraries.

If I can come to understand this subject perhaps I can offer some example
prose, from the newbie perspective, for the proposed FAQ updates (since
after all, isn't that who reads these things (at least one would hope 8-))

So given that, I did try to build uClibc before moving on to building
newlib. This is a stripped down version of glibc for small footprint
embedded systems. I get the same error as when I try to build newlib.
Building gcc --with-newlib seemed the only way to get to an executable arm
compiler from source. This seems possible due to the built in --with-newlib
option of gcc.

The resulting arm-elf-gcc is what I've been using to try to build both
newlib and uClibc. I get the same error for both.

I've run the CRLF to CR conversion (thanks David Korn!):

find . -type f -exec dos2unix {} ';'

with dos2unix:

#!/bin/sh
mv $1 $1.dos && tr -d '\015' <$1.dos >$1 && rm $1.dos

The unknown true looks very bad to me.

So here's the whole make error output.

Thanks a Million Guys!

$ make
[: true: unknown operand
make -C  extra
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/uClibc/extra'
make -C  gcc-uClibc
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/uClibc/extra/gcc-uClibc'
rm -f gcc-uClibc.h gcc-uClibc-* core
ls: /lib/ld*.so.[0-9]: No such file or directory
gcc -s gcc-uClibc.c -o gcc-uClibc-arm
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/uClibc/extra/gcc-uClibc'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/uClibc/extra'
make -C  misc
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/uClibc/misc'
make -C  assert
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/uClibc/misc/assert'
arm-elf-gcc  -Wall -Os -fno-builtin -nostdinc  -Dlinux -D__linux__
-I../../inclu
de -I/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/arm-elf/2.95.2/include -I. -D__LIBC__   -DNDEBUG
-D
__HAS_NO_MMU__ -c __assert.c -o __assert.o
Assembler messages:
 for reading.open
: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [__assert.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/uClibc/misc/assert'
make[1]: *** [_dir_assert] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/uClibc/misc'
make: *** [_dir_misc] Error 2