Multi-architecture installation

Hi everybody.

I want to install several cross tools (coming from the four following packages: binutils, gcc, newlib and gdb).
These cross tools are generated for several processors and embedded operating systems.
My question is, what is the best installed file tree organisation and which configure option I must use to obtain it ? I am asking myself if I must use both --prefix and --exec-prefix options to separate the installed trees or if I can share, without overwriting files, some directories.

Thanks in advance for your experienced opinion.

Pierre.