Re: Work on new CrossGCC FAQ underway

bgat@open-widgets.com wrote:

> Guys:
>
> Just to let you know, I haven't forgotten about my new responsibility
> as the CrossGCC FAQ maintainer.
>
> I've started working on it, but quite frankly, I'm not happy with the
> direction it's heading in.  The basic outline at the moment is
> unchanged from its current form, which causes problems because certain
> types of information are specific to targets, while others are
> specific to hosts, while still others are specific to tools.
>
> It's always been like that, of course, but as the number of
> gcc-supported targets with individual hacks (i.e. arm-linux) has
> increased, discussing them coherently and concisely in the current
> format generates lots of verbage.
>
> As for new directions, I'm currently leaning towards a faq-o-matic
> inspired approach, where there is no hiearchy at all, each section is
> sort of standalone.  This means that there will be a section on
> building host=cygwin/target=arm-linux, and a different section for
> building host=pc-linux/target=arm-linux.  Or something like that.
>
> I'm liking this strategy, because it lends itself to links like "how
> do I build an arm-linux crosscompiler that runs under Cygwin?" and
> thus makes the document very browsable.  It's a big rewrite, though,
> so it'll take a few days before I can show anything of value.
>
> Heck, is there any interest in running the "real" faq-o-matic for
> this?  I'd be happy to host it on my box...
>
> Thoughts?

Just saw your post from 2 weeks ago.

Since we are building cross-GCC for a number of targets, we want
to build each target in exactly the same way, not with a different
recipe for each target.  For the most part, we are able to do this.

I have built GCC using Cygwin in the past, but not recently, so I'm
not current on the differences with build on pc-linux.

One problem I see with the matrix approach (one entry for each host/target
combination) is that the descriptions diverge.  Differences between
targets get described as if they are SOP, rather than undesirable, and
after a while a bug description begins to read as if it is a requirement.

If you want me to read/comment on a draft of the FAQ, let me know.

--
Michael Eager     eager@mvista.com	408-328-8426
MontaVista Software, Inc. 1237 E. Arques Ave., Sunnyvale, CA  94085