Re: help about cross-compiler

Hi.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kai Ruottu <kai.ruottu@luukku.com>
To: "Liu Yong" <yliu@newavetech.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:41:16 +0300
Subject: Re: help about cross-compiler

> On Mon, 09 Jul 2001 09:38:21 +0800
> "Liu Yong" <yliu@newavetech.com> wrote:
>
> > gcc : 3.0
>
>  What about using a more stable GCC like gcc-2.95.3 ?
I have used 2.95.3 and get the same result.

> > /my-gcc/vi configure(change the target(m68k-hp-bsd4.3 and prefix
> director
> >
> > So what 's wrong with my Gcc?
> > Do you think I need libgcc1.a? I have no this files.
>
>  You should have more info about the target than we have...
   //shy. I hope I can , but.. I just have read a user's manual about
M68k. And I even have no chance to use m68k. What I want to do is set up
a software platform to learn m68k programming. Maybe after some time I
will have a m68k processor and run programs on it, but now I have nothing
except a sun solaris workstation.

>  The 'libgcc1.a' normally has the 'soft-float' routines for m68020 etc.
> without a m68881/m68882 FPU. If your target always has the FPU, the
> 'soft-float' routines and the '-msoft-float' option may be vain. The
> main config file ('gcc/config/m68k/hp3bsd.h') says the '-m68020' and
> '-m68881' being the defaults... So the compiling the 'fpgnulib.c' and
> the 'xfgnulib.c' into 'libgcc1.a' may be unnecessary...
>
>  Also the conversion routines in 'gcc/config/m68k/lb1sf68.asm' may be
> unnecessary...
>
>  So defining 'LIBGCC1 = libgcc1.null' in your '$build_dir/gcc/Makefile'
> (after "target overrides"), or defining it as empty, will cause no
> 'libgcc1.a' to be produced...
   So you mean I needn't generate libgcc1.a ?

> > Because I have no computer based on m68k ,I cann't generate it.
>
>  How on earth you are going to test the produced executables then?
> You probably don't need a cross-compiler for an unexisting target ;-)
   Yes, it's a problem . So I want to get a cross-compiler ,cross-
assembler and cross-linker . Then I must get a simulator . Do you think
it work? I don't know , but I have to do something to give answer.
Do you think I can get a simulator to run the code that generate by cross-
compiler for m68k ? If there is no simulator , it 's no use to get a
cross-compiler.
   So what do you think about it?

> > > Maybe I should install glibc? I haven't installed it.
>
>  You should copy the target headers and libs from the target machine
> into your host machine, please read the "Installation / Cross-Compiler"
> from your nice GCC-manual ("Using and Porting the GNU Compiler
> Collection").
    Now I have no target headers and libs . Because I have no target
machine. can anyone give me such files for m68k-hp-bsd4.3 ? Or tell me
where can get them( don't tell me get it from target machine . ;-) )

>  If you don't have the manual (comes with GCC sources in 'texinfo'
> format)
> built yet, please build it now... The 'makeinfo' which produces the
> 'info'
> format manual, should come with the GCC-sources. With TeX a '.dvi'
> document
> can be produced, with Ghostscript a '.ps' one. Or you can download a
> prebuilt
> manual from the net, like from the RedHat's 'GNUPro Toolkit
> Documentation'
> site...
>
>  Maybe the 'glibc-1.09' can be built for 'm68k-hp-bsd4.3' and it works
> somehow,
> but the original BSD4.3-libraries are much better and the target system
> should
> have them.
>
>  Anyway the 'include' and 'lib' under the $prefix/$target are the
> places for
> the target headers and libraries, just as the 'bin' there should now be
> filled
> with the target binutils.
>
>  The :
>
>   -B/home/yliu/local/m68k-hp-bsd4.3/lib/ \
>   -isystem /home/yliu/local/m68k-hp-bsd4.3/include
>
> in your earlier message tells your $prefix being '/home/yliu/local' and
> the
> $target being 'm68k-hp-bsd4.3', so this output log from you clearly
> shows
> the places for the target libs ('lib') and the headers ('include').
> Your
> target binutils should be in '/home/yliu/local/m68k-hp-bsd4.3/bin' now,
> the
> new 'xgcc' tries to find them there (please see this with the
> well-known
> './xgcc -print-search-dirs').
>
> Cheers, Kai

Thanks for your help very much!