RE: native GCC-compiler

  Add the -v (verbose) option to the configure command and it will leave
more detailed logs (configure.log) which you can examine and try and get
some idea why it failed.  You must have a compiler to build a compiler
with, but the cygwin installation should include an x86 version of gcc
anyway.

>   cygwin worked.) So my question is: Why doesn't it work on Win95?

  Cygwin doesn't work as well on 95 as it does on NT mainly because it
cannot emulate the Unix system of file access permissions and group/user
ownership on 95.  Under NT it uses the security/access control features of
NTFS to store these details but in a FAT filesystem there's just nowhere
for it to go.

  I haven't tried cygwin on win9x myself, but what I've read elsewhere
suggests that it works, but only imperfectly.  I cannot say whether this
in particular could be the cause of your problems.

  Another possibility is that the installation on the 9x machine is just
messed up in some way.  What happens when you type 'gcc -v' at the bash
shell ?

>2. When you want to build a native compiler to be able to get
>executables how do you set the
>   startadress for the compiled programs.

  You don't.  The compiled programs are relocated at run time by the
windows os routines that deal with loading and starting running a new
task.  All the executables are compiled as if the start address was 0;
that way the load-time relocater just has to add the real start address to
every memory reference in the code.

> My native
>gcc-compiler wich comes with cygwin
>   gives me executables wich gives me fatal error when I try
>to execute them.

  Well, *THAT* is the underlying cause of the error in your configure
command, and that is the problem we have to solve.  During configure the
configure script tests for a compiler by trying to compile and run a
very simple program; if anything goes wrong during that process it assumes
that there is no compiler available.

>   But the executables when making cross-gcc-m68k works ( must
>be something that gets
>   configured automatically when building the cross-compiler )

  No, it's because the details of linking and loading are utterly
different between a 32-bit CPU running a multi-tasking and memory-protected
OS and a 16-bit embedded system with no dynamic linking, and in fact the
main difference is probably more to do with the linker and linker scripts
from binutils than anything the compiler does itself.

          DaveK
--
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com