What does the gdb download into board?

Hi.
I am use remote-debugger of gdb to debug my code.
I have a problem,what does the gdb download into board?
Does the gdb download symbol table into board?
Or it just download executive code into board and store symbol
table and other information in host computer ,then it can reduce
the code size download into board?

Maybe someone can answer my newbie question.

Are there a cross-gdb disccuss maillist like this maillist?

Thanks.

Best Regards.
Yong Liu