gcc W98/Cygwin -> MIPS success

Folks:

I'm teaching a class and I want to be able to use my laptop to show
students what a C compiler for the MIPS processor generates as assembly
language.  A cross compiling gcc seemed like a way to do it, and using info
from this list and the FAQ from Bill Gatliff at
<http://crossgcc.billgatliff.com/crossgccfaq/t1.html> I was able to get it
working in a day.  I already had Cygwin 1.3.2 installed on my HP Omnibook
XE3 W98 machine.

Here are some notes about the process.

1.  If the FAQ section "Identifying your target's name" doesn't cover the
target you have in mind, there is a good explanation of configurations in
the gcc manual Using and Porting the GNU Compiler Collection, Section 3.2,
Configurations Supported by GNU CC.
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/gcc_3.html#SEC48>

2.  When I built the bootstrap gcc, I got "cpp.texi does not exist"
makeinfo errors.  An explanation of this problem and what to do about it is
at DaveK's <http://www.lysergic.u-net.com/>, along with other info about
building gcc under Cygwin.

      One final problem: the gcc archive comes with a copy of the texinfo
      utility that is used to generate the .info files for the manual, but it
      won't work with cygwin.  Fortunately cygwin offers the same functionality
      itself, so we just need to rename, delete or move the texinfo subdir in
      the gcc sources.

      $ mv gcc-2.95.3/texinfo gcc-2.95.3/old.texinfo

3.  When I built newlib the first time, it crashed bash (rm -f lib.a never
completed).  I think the problem was that I had forgotten to create a new
objdir and was building in the same objdir where I had built the bootstrap
gcc.  Don't forget to create and use a new build directory for each step of
the process.

4.  The first time I built gcc, I wasn't too sure what was needed in the
source tree, so I just unpacked it and used it as is.  I got Java, chill,
blah de blah.  I started to delete source directories, but it wasn't
entirely clear to me how far I could go.  A better way is to use
"enable-languages=c" in the config statement.

5.  If you use the PREFIX to direct where your installed compiler goes, you
will need to update your PATH to reflect that location.

Doug Johnson