Re: apparent bug in the configure.in script

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, M. R. Brown wrote:

> Wrong.  If you're building a bootstrap compiler, you can specify
> --with-newlib to cause gcc to define the inhibit_libc variable and *not*
> include header files.  In this instance --without-headers is completely
> unecessary.

*warning -> offtopic!!*

hah! finally!
please tell me a known http source where this has been
documented...pity i won't ever find..as a newbie to cross-compiling i use
google and the various search-machines the ml-bots offer.

for my experiences in cross-compiling i used the list-archives and
crawled and crawled and crawled...i read bill's faq etc. and posted
to the ML and somewhat there's this great lack of documentation ;(

why don't you, mr. brown, try to get exactly this sentence into one
of the faq's?

we (me, the newbies, whatever) get stuck with probs that you'll
never have to encounter. why not spread your knowledge and try
to create a known faq place on the web for our (and your!) pleasure??

i just think if many compiling newbies would know a place to
look at, there would be /less/ repeating questions here at the ML
and the 'open source' community feeling could be let out like
evolution told us todo ;-))

i really would appreciate such an effort...

(btw - bill's tutorial is a very good starting , it's just that it's
 not fullfilling /general/ needs of building a cross-compiler)

flo
Florian Zimmermann
<http://www.0x17.org>
flo@0x17.de