Re: ibm PowerPC 4xx

I am sure powerpc-eabi-GCC (for instance 2.95.2 which we are using)
is good enough for PowerPC 4xx (we currently support PPC403 and PPC405).

The differences between 4xx and other PowerPC implementations (5xx,
6xx, 7xx, 8xx, 82xx and 74xx) are privilege mode only (interrupts,
exceptions, MMU etc.) and this stuff is not handled by the compiler.

A question might be if the assembler has support for all processor-
specific instructions and registers. But this is normally not a
problem for application coders, only for OS and related development.

PPC440 is a new beast, the first implementation of the BookE
architecture.
We haven't looked into this in any great detail, some new stuff and
also adoption features that earlier PPC40x processors championed.

Vermeulen Jan wrote:

> Hi CrossGCC enthousiasts,
>
> I'm wondering if the crossgcc build of powerpc-eabi is 'good enough'(*) for
> IBM's ppc 400 series. (405 & 440 for example).
> Or are there any special things I should watch out for, coz the architecture
> is quite different than the Motorola's 600 & 700 series?
IBM also designs and manufactures 6xx and 7xx processors.
5xx, 8xx, 82xx (603e-based) and 74xx are Motorola only.
--
	Ola Liljedahl
	OSE Systems AB