SPARC Cross Compiler

Hey guys!

I need to build a sparc-rtems-elf cross compiler, hosted on a
i586-pc-linux-elf host.

I configured the compiler with <configure --host=i586-pc-linux-elf
--target=sparc-rtems-elf --with-newlib>

When I build the compiler with 'make cross', things go fine, till the end of
stage1.  As soon as it tries to do 'stage2', the configure fails, with the
fact that 'xcc can't build executables'.  What's it trying to do, generating
the stage2 compiler trying to use the target compiler, instead of the host?

Thanks in advance

David Dudley