cross compiler - libgcc1.a

Hi,
   This is my first time to build a cross compiler and I had problems during
compilation.  I want to build a cross compiler for the target machine
m68k-motorola-sysv.  I know that I have to supply the libgcc1.a for some
common routines.  I have read the installation doc which mention that I can
define the appropriate 'perform_...' macros for the subroutines.  Acutally,
I am not quite sure what it means and how to do it.  Can anyone give me
example how to do it?? and is it possible to download it from the Internet
so that I don't have to fool around with the libraries.

Eddie Chan
Software Engineer
IVS TEL
Level 4