Re: How to make a portable toolchain?

* Bin Zhou <binzhou@pop-star.net.cn> on Thu, Nov 01, 2001:

> Hi M.R.,
>
> I can link to libc statically on Solaris8 with link option "-Wl,-static". As
> static libc requires libdl on Solaris, so I put -ldl in the LDFLAGS, but I
> got linkage error saying "can not find -ldl".
>
> Under /usr/lib on Solaris8, I can only see libdl.so but not libdl.a, this is
> the reason of above linkage error. --- SUN does not ship libdl.a
>
> If I configure cross gcc with option --disable-shared, can I get rid of
> option -ldl when I compile/link targets with the cross gcc?

If you don't have the static version of a library, I'm afraid you can't
link statically to that library.

--disable-shared only prevents libgcc (in GCC 3.x), libiberty, libstdc++, etc.
from being built shared, it doesn't affect any libraries that aren't shipped
with GCC.

Anyone else have any ideas?

M. R.

PGP signature