RE: "powerpc-elf-ar : not found" and "libgcc2.a" problem (target 'mak e all' or 'make all-gcc')

  Hi Philippe!

>(should it really be 2.10 ? I continued to use 2.11, maybe erroneously,
> but I didn't think so ?)

  I think 2.11 has some changes made to it which kept it working with
gcc 3.x, but broke it for 2.x; I only tried to use it once, it didn't
work, so I went straight back to 2.10.

>after then downloading and installing (as Dave suggested)
>gcc-core-2.95.3

  Oops, sorry :-( communication difficulty.  There are two separate
meanings of 'core':   one in the gcc-core-2.95.3.tar.gz filename means
"Gcc C compiler only without any C++ or other stuff", but when I talk
about a cross compiler, 'core compiler' means the xgcc after the first
stage of the build.  Now, if you do not want to use C++ in your cross
compiler, it is OK, otherwise you still need the extra .tar.gz with the
c++ source files for 2.95.3, sorry!

>2. why does the crosscompiler still not compile only it's core ?

  But it does; it is the target-libiberty that fails, the 'xgcc' that I
refer to as the 'core' compiler is present in your build.

> I thought I could've compiled without any problem. But again, after
>running configure --prefix=$prefix, --target=$target -v, I still have
>the problem of unfound header files.

  The header files it needs at this point are headers for the C library
that will be on the *target* system, not the ones for the host machine.

>3. is it correct that glibc isn't supported on Solaris (2.6) ?

  So it does not matter if glibc is OK for solaris; what matters is
which lib you want for powerpc.  And that is probably newlib.

>As I understand from former comments, I should then install the
>(newlib/glibc) header files ?

  Probably newlib; that is suitable for embedded systems, but you didn't
tell us yet what kind of powerpc you want to compile for, is it a full
system with an OS or is it just a ppc development board (embedded system
with no OS ?)

  http://crossgcc.billgatliff.com/crossgccfaq/t1.html

  Have a good read through the FAQ, it is clearer than my explanation!
In particular he says "bootstrap" compiler instead of "core", this would
have been the better word for me to use.  Particularly pay attention to
the sections that say "Building a bootstrap gcc", "Building newlib", and
"Building a complete gcc".

>4. when using newlib, should I really add the option --with-newlib to the
>./configure- script? And if so, what does this option exactly do ?

  As the FAQ explains it, "The --with-newlib doesn't necessarily imply that
we're using newlib, it just modifies the build process so that gcc builds as
little of itself as possible (newlib contains some functions that gcc
normally provides itself)."

  So it prevents the libiberty-target build, and all the C++ stuff, and
everything but the very most basic part of the compiler.  That is then
good enough to build the newlib C library with; then you can complete the
compiler build.

       DaveK
--
Burn your ID card!  http://www.optional-identity.org.uk/
Help support the campaign, copy this into your .sig!

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com