Building cross compiler for Solaris2 and PATH_MAX

Hi, I'm having a problem building a cross compiler for Solaris2.8, I wonder
if someone here has seen this before?

The host is a cygwin box.
I've compiled the binutils ok, for the target sparc-sun-solaris2.8
When compiling the file gcc/config/sparc/gmon-sol2.c it chokes on an
undeclared PATH_MAX. I've copied the solaris include files from /usr/include
to the /usr/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/include directory.
Now PATH_MAX is defined in the limits.h file in the
/usr/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/include directory. I've looked at the preprocessed
source, and limits.h is getting included. However the the define statement
is inside a conditional block, repeated here

#if defined(__EXTENSIONS__) || __STDC__ - 0 == 0 || \
 defined(_POSIX_C_SOURCE) || defined(_XOPEN_SOURCE)

None of these are defined when the file is being compiled
My question would be, should one of these be defined? Or is there something
else funny happening?