RE: ppc-eabi with gcc-3.0.4

  No; the way multilibbing works is that not only do all these variant
libraries get made, but unless you take steps to prevent it, each and every
*combination* of them will be made; then, according to the combination of
flags that you use for *your* code at compile time, gcc can choose the
correct variant of multilib, by simply looking in the right combination
of subdirectory names under $prefix/lib/gcc-lib/$target/$version.

  In the MULTILIB_OPTIONS, when you see two options separated by /, that
means they are mutually exclusive:

>                   mlittle/mbig \

means only use -mbig or -mlittle, not both.  Let me simplify that example:

>MULTILIB_OPTIONS = msoft-float \
>                   mlittle/mbig
>
>MULTILIB_DIRNAMES = nof \
>                    le be

  Now, in this case, it would try and build all 8 combinations (think
binary: each option can be on or off, and there are three).  In the table
here, the subdirectories are given considering . (the current dir) to be
the appropriate libs dir.  The switches listed are found by combining the
entries in MULTILIB_OPTIONS, and the subdirectory is chosen by appending
the path elements from MULTILIB_DIRNAMES.  The switches are used when
compiling libgcc (and the other target libs, such as libstdc++ and
libiberty), and the directory hierarchy exists under $prefix/$target/lib
(libstdc++, libiberty get installed here) and also as the same tree under
$prefix/lib/gcc-lib/$target/$version, where libgcc variants get installed:

#    combination       into subdir    using switches
=    ===========       ===========    ==============
0    -none-            .
1    be                ./be           -mbig
2    le                ./le           -mlittle
3    be + le           ./be/le        -mbig -mlittle
4    nof               ./nof          -msoft-float
5    nof + be          ./nof/be       -msoft-float -mbig
6    nof + le          ./nof/le       -msoft-float -mlittle
7    nof + le + be     ./nof/le/be    -msoft-float -mlittle -mbig

  But mlittle/mbig are marked as mutually exclusive, so it doesn't do that:

#    combination       into subdir    using switches
=    ===========       ===========    ==============
0    -none-            .
1    be                ./be           -mbig
2    le                ./le           -mlittle
4    nof               ./nof          -msoft-float
5    nof + be          ./nof/be       -msoft-float -mbig
6    nof + le          ./nof/le       -msoft-float -mlittle

  OK, so going back to your original example:

><quoting>
>MULTILIB_OPTIONS = msoft-float \
>                   mlittle/mbig \
>                   mcall-sysv/mcall-aix \
>                   fleading-underscore
>
>MULTILIB_DIRNAMES = nof \
>                    le be \
>                    cs ca \
>                    und
></quoting>

  We should expect to see every combination of libraries, except that
they must all be either big or little endian, but not both; and that they
should all use sysv or aix calling conventions, but not both.

  There's one last bit:  the MULTILIB_EXCEPTIONS, which provides a way to
discard a few more specific combinations.  In 2.95.x it says:

MULTILIB_EXCEPTIONS	= *mbig/*mcall-linux* \
			  *mlittle/*mcall-linux* \
			  *msoft-float/*mcall-linux*

  Now, this means that no library will be built for any of the flag
combinations "-mbig -mcall-linux", "-mlittle -mcall-linux", and
"-msoft-float -mcall-linux".  Why is this?  Well, just to save disk space
and time spent building the compiler.  Linux is always big-endian on ppc,
and since big-endian is the default when *no* endian flag is supplied, there
is no need to make a "-mbig -mcall-linux" variant when you already have
plain "-mcall-linux".  There is no need for "-mlittle -mcall-linux" because
PPC linux does not run in little endian mode, so it would never work, and
likewise, ppc linux *demands* hardware floating point, so there is no need
to make a soft-float variant either.

  If you want more info than this, read the relevant chapters of the
"Using and Porting the gcc compiler" doc:

" Fragments::       Writing the `t-TARGET' and `x-HOST' files."

    cheers,
     DaveK
--
Burn your ID card!  http://www.optional-identity.org.uk/
Help support the campaign, copy this into your .sig!

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com