Re: Assembler message: "unsupported relocation type" with MPC555 crosscompiler

Matthias:

> 	powerpc-eabi-gcc -g -c -mcpu=555 -I$(INCLUDES) -o main.o main.c
> 	/tmp/cckZyIqV.s: Assembler messages:
> 	/tmp/cckZyIqV.s:232: Error: unsupported relocation type
> 	/tmp/cckZyIqV.s:232: Error: unsupported relocation type
> 	make: *** [main.o] Fehler 1

Run the source file through gcc with -g -S, and have a look at line
232.  This could be a gcc or assembler problem, knowing what the
offending instruction is would help.

> by the way: if i have compiled the sources succesfully, how can i
> load the code on my target platform ... yes i am a newbie!

The linker will write an output file, using ELF, EABI or some other
format (depending on what you tell it) that contains your program.
Use objcopy to convert it to S-record or Hex, and use a chip burner to
burn it into the flash on your target system.

You could also feed the output file to gdb and debug remotely, if your
target hardware has a suitable debugging agent.  See my article on
implementing a remote debugging agent at http://billgatliff.com for
more on what I'm talking about.

b.g.
--