Archives that are built but not used.

After several days of trying to get a cygwin to M68k-coff cross-compiler
running, I finally succeeded. However, I just discovered that nothing I
put in an archive is used by the linker even though I include the
library on the command line.

I know this, because I get a whole mess load of unresolves. I used NM to
make sure the symbols were defined. With or without the archive I get
the same unresolves. When I compile all the .c files at the same time
(skipping the archive step), I do not get the same unresolves (I get
different ones due to the same problem).

Anyone have any clues as to why this may be happening?

Thanks,