Re: problem building newlib (was RE: 68000 cross compiler under windows 2000)

Bruce Adams wrote:
> > Is that the acgeneral.m4 patch I posted recently?  If so, did you
> > also regenerate gcc/configure with autoconf?
>
>   It is the very same.  I trashed the whole crossgcc build directory
> and started again from scratch is that good enough? :-)

No.  You have to rerun autoconf *in the gcc and libiberty subdirectories
of the gcc source tree* before you configure gcc.
Furthermore, when you make gcc, you have to do it as follows:
    make all-gcc
    ac_cv_prog_cc_cross=yes cross_compiling=yes make all-target
    make install
in order for that patch to do any good.

> I never saw the bug you were originally describing (with the dialogs
> and all that) but this does seem that wrong 'as' is being invoked.
> Its the same message I get from running 'as -m68000' instead of
> 'm68k-coff-as -m68000'.  It looks like its calling m68k-coff-gcc so
> I guess something went wrong there.  I have only one acgeneral.m4
> on that machine.  Drat, drat & triple drat!

acgeneral.m4 is only used when running the program 'autoconf', which
produces the 'configure' scripts in the gcc source tree subdirectories.
It is not used during 'configure' or 'make'.

You can tell if you need my patch by examining the contents of
m68000/config.cache (or whatever your arch directory is called)
after making gcc.  If it contains the line
ac_cv_prog_cc_cross=${ac_cv_prog_cc_cross='no'}
you have the bug.  If not, you're fine, and don't need the patch.

- Dan