gdb and jtag

Hi all

Does anyone know how one would go about creating an interface/back-end to
gdb that use JTAG/ICE to debug a target board ? I know that there are
commercial offerings (e.g raven,wiggler etc from Macraigor) but I want to
use my own "JTAG hardware" (similar to altera byteblaster).

At the moment I am using a small program by Simon Wood to control the target
processor via JTAG. This implements a simple debugger (with the JTAG
"protocol" in software, unlike the commercial offerings) and connects to the
target via the abovementioned "byteblaster" type cable (on parallel port).
However I wish to use the superior (no offence Mr Wood) capabilities of gdb
(breakpoints, stepping etc.).

My feeling is that I could use the base code that I have and somehow adapt
it to present an interface that GDB needs (the fundamental question: what is
this interface ????).

I have had a decent (I think) look around mailing list archives and the web,
but it appears that there is not much on this topic.

My target is an ARM920T processor.

Thanks
Simon Berry