why is xgcc invoked during a cross build of gcc?

I'm looking for some elaboration on this, as the generally available
documentation is too vague.

I understand that the math operations helper library might be needed on
some platforms, to complete
a fully useful installation of gcc.  But is that the only thing that is
built with xgcc?  What if I don't care,
in the case of embedded work which may never trigger gcc to utilize the
helper library.

My cross build works fine up until the time it starts to do things which
invoke the xgcc which was built.
Usually complaints about missing header files. My current config is also
complaining at the point at
which it trys to test that the local xgcc is working, yielding a result
of 'no', and then goes ahead
to try to use it anyway.

Thanks,
Rick