Re: Problem building cross-gcc for powerpc-linux

Rick Sustek wrote:

> Yes, you are hitting a common problem building cross-gcc, in that the gcc
> build
> wants to open and read several header files that are expected to exist for
> the target compile-and-link-time environment. It will use these header files
> to build
> library routines for the target compile-and-link-time environment.

When I read the Carlos message, I suspected that the his target environment,
powerpc-linux, was close enough to the host environment, so that his problem
should lie before the typical problem you are referring to.

> It is generally up to you to somehow get those header files in place. This can
> be
> easy or hard, depending on the target environment.
>
> This whole sub-topic is poorly documented, in the "outdated" faq you
> quoted,
> and even in the "better" faq that dkegel quoted. I'm hoping someone will
> elaborate
> in much greater detail on this topic, within the actual documentation,
> and not
> just repeated queries on the mailer list. (I'd volunteer, but I don't
> get the whole
> picture enough yet!)

I don't either, but I successfully built a cross-compiler for the Motorola
PowerPC MPC8xx family using the newlib distribution as a run-time library, and
assuming a deeply embedded kernel as the execution environment.

I should post the result and the method soon on http://www.connotech.com. The
method is not

> I'd like to see a list of all the header files that will be expected to exist,
> and
> what their content is expected to be, so that we may synthesize them from
> scratch if needed.
>
> There seems to be some partial solution you can use, by utilizing the
> --without-headers
> configure flag, but again, this is not sufficiently documented.

The --without-headers and the --with-newlib configure flags are important as
well. I thought the typical problem occurs mainly when --with-newlib is used.

My understanding is that the --with-newlib is opening the door to non-GNU/FSF
run-time libraries, so if you want to start from scratch, you would use the
--with-newlib but not the newlib distribution.

> Hope this helps!

Me too...

--

- Thierry Moreau