Re: Problem building cross-gcc for powerpc-linux

Gang,

Yeah, I think we're really starting to hit the nail on the head here!

We want configure options, or makefile targets, that cause the
cross-compiler
to be built, such that it is only capable of producing object files or
assembly
language files, from the 'C' code.

This is, after all, the primary job of the compiler! The fact that the
gcc compiler
driver is setup to "normally" build an executable, for an established
execution
environment, is really just a convenience for a very typical scenario.

For embedded work, and special cases, we often wish to take manual
control
of the compiler and linker, to produce files that meet special criteria.
In many
cases, that is the *only* functionality we need from the tools. Thus, it
is
a shame that the build process for GCC is not more modular, so that many

of us could meet these simpler goals with less agony.

With a configure and build process as complicated as that of GCC, it is
possible
that this stuff is already in there, but nobody bothered to document it,
because
it wasn't the norm!  Ever tried figuring out what all the possible
makefile targets
are?  ;=)

Rick