Re: build-crossgcc.sh for gcc3.2.3?

Erik Christiansen wrote:

  Is it the use of C++, or a problematic target, that tips the balance
  in favour of updating?

  I've been very happily using gcc2.95.3 for half a year now, handling
  C and assembler for an embedded ppc target, and have the following
  note to myself, gleaned from some forgotten source:

     Fetch a pre-3.0 gcc.
  (gcc-3.x isn't cross-compile-friendly at the moment.)

One thing that motivates me to go to 3.x is better optimizations. As far as I can tell, 3.x generates much better code for ARM and PPC targets (at least) than 2.95.x. (Don't ask me to quantify, I haven't studied it *that* close!)

For all the non-OS targets (i.e. arm-elf), gcc 3.x seems to bootstrap just fine. And for *-linux targets, I'm having good luck with everything except ppc-linux. For ppc-linux my workaround is to bootstrap with 2.95.x, then "upgrade" to 3.x. Tedious and time-consuming, but not rocket science.

Short story: if 2.95.x comes up short for you, and you aren't using ppc-linux, 3.x is probably an improvement. If 2.95.x works fine for you, then it's still your choice. (Not that it isn't *always* your choice, I think you know what I mean).

Just my $0.02USD,

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
Public embedded GNU and embedded Linux training dates announced!