Re: Anyone cross-bootstrap a GCC compiler onto a linux board?

Yves Rutschle wrote:
native compiling is indeed a much, much easier option when
available. What we ended up doing here was just using a
distribution: download Debian's debootstrap, install a
Debian, configure the network, and go:
apt-get install gcc
And voilà, you have a working native development system.

I'm planning on doing something similar, but will have to compile all the packages myself (there aren't any debian packages prebuilt for ppc405 :-() I'll probably cross-build the packages, but let users who hate cross-compiling do all their compiling natively (sometimes it's just easier to give people what they ask for instead of educating them...)

This also has its problems: we normally run busybox/uClibc,
and then chroot in that Debian. Ideally, we'd want a
uClibc-based Debian... but I don't think that exists. Maybe
that's where "compile-everything" distributions like Gentoo
would come in handy, but we haven't had time to look into
that yet.

I looked into this recently. Gentoo isn't too cross-compile friendly, so it's a bit hard to bootstrap on strange processors. lnx-bbc and Rock Linux might be helpful here, they seem to be a bit simpler and cross-compile friendlier, but I saw problems with each of them. I'm interested in hearing what others who go this route find. - Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com