Re: arrgh. can't install headers in glibc-2.3.2.

Peter Barada wrote:
If I understand this correctly we need glibc headers to build a bootstrap compiler since the headers are required for libgcc1/2, exception
handling(stack unwind, etc), but those libraries are *not* necessary to build
glibc (or at least glibc-2.2.5).

Suppose we hack gcc to suppress the construction of ligbcc, etc if its
configured to build a bootstrap (or we make a different Makefile
target, or we hack the Makefile directly).

Then we could build a bare-bones bootstrap that *should* be able to
build glibc, and then go back and build up a full compiler.

If I comment out the two sets of lines in the generated gcc/Makefile
that define LIBGCC and INSTALL_LIBGCC (arond lines 383 and 688) then
libgcc is *not* build and the bootstrap installs correctly...

Do you think this approach might work?

Dunno. Thanks for explaining it, though. It's tempting to try. - Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com