Re: SPAM[RBL] Re: [ANNOUNCE] GCC 3.3 uClinux toolchain 20030712 snapshot

On Monday 14 July 2003 00:22, Dan Kegel wrote:

> > Yes, but I need to add some more information describing the patches
> > in the headers. I've not written the bigger patches myself. I've
> > just imported them from other places.
>
> Worth sticking on a prefix showing the effect of *not* including
> the patch, even if the patch came from somewhere else...

Too late: to see the effects again I should revert the patches and
rebuild without them.

The largest patch I have contains several enhancements for
ColdFire targets made by Peter Barada. I believe he will eventually
push these changes by himself.

Another big patch by Paul Dale adds a flavour of PIC code that
allows executing binaries from romfs without loading the text segment
in memory (XIP). This is just for uClinux, along with some clever GOT
tricks required to support shared libraries in position independent
code.

Most of my work has involved merging these patches and forward-porting
them to gcc 3.3. I've tried them on a recent 3.3 CVS to make sure they
will still apply when 3.3.1 gets out.

Unfortunately, I have no time to mantain another set of patches for
gcc's CVS trunk. Anyway, fixing bugs in these changes will take some
more time.

> > Most of these are uClinux-specific problems I've found and fixed myself.
> > They are not in GCC's bugzilla.
>
> Sure, but for the patches you want eventually to move into the
> main gcc tree, you probably want to add entries in gcc's bugzilla...

I've reported the only bug which is likely to affect code already present
in the official tree to Peter Barada. He told me there was already an open
PR for it. I think he's been discussing the issue some days ago on the
gcc ml.

All my other fixes are not appropriate for GCC's bugzilla until Peter and
Paul's patches get in. Some of the patches, such as uClinux's unique way
of implementing shared libraries, are also too controversial to be
submitted.

I've just filed for copyright assignment, so I'll be able to submit my
patches when the time will come.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/

Please don't send Word attachments - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html