Re: building a native toolchain using a cross-compiler

Alex:

Try adding a:

--build=`../binutils-2.14/config.guess`

(backticks) to the binutils configure. You'll need to do likewise for all the other work products, too.

b.g.

Fisher Alex wrote:

Hello.
I've sucessfully built a cross-compiler toolchain from an i686-linux host to
a powerpc-linux target.

Not everything I need to compile for my target is going to cross-compile
without spending months hacking various scripts.

To get around this, I would like to use my cross compiler to build a native
toolchain for my target but am not sure where to start.

My cross-compiler toolchain uses binutils 2.14, glibc 2.2.1 and gcc 2.95.3
and I would like to have a similar setup on my target.

What will I have to cross compile first and what options should I specify to
the various configure scripts?
So far I haven't even been able to cross-compile and install binutils :(

CC=powerpc-linux-gcc ./configure --host=powerpc-linux --prefix=/exports/rootfs CC=powerpc-linux-gcc make

all seems fine so far but make install fails when it tries to execute a
binary "./chew" which is a cross-compiled powerpc binary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient
and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it from your system and notify Thales Underwater Systems on +44 1963
370 551. You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or

-- Bill Gatliff Embedded GNU and Linux development, training bgat@billgatliff.com