Output file size?

Another "nice-to-have" (not a requirement) for my cross-compilation project, is support for a really old (but still in use) revision of our hardware that has only 64k of memory. Unfortunately, the size of my application is about 80k in stripped binary format when generated with m68k-coff-gcc, while the old setup (Microware CC on OS-9) generated a file smaller than 50k from the same source (well, nearly the same; I had to make changes to be able compile it with gcc.)

Any idea why gcc's output is that much larger? Is there any way I can reduce the size? Note that -Os helps a bit, but I suspect that it actually destroys the code (asm() isn't handled correctly.)

- Toralf