Re: JTAG Pod?

Michael K. Elwood wrote:

At 09:21 PM 9/25/2003 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:

Our target is an ARM7. I've got an EPI Jeeni, and have used a borrowed BDI2000 on a very limited basis. My impressions: The BDI is more of a pain to set up, but seems more flexible and configurable after you climb the curve. Both work great with gdb, and you can't complain about the ethernet download speeds. At ~$1500 for the Jeeni vs. ~$2400 for the BDI2000, the Jeeni seems like the better deal if you are targeting ARM.

I was actually under the impression that the Jeeni would be just as expensive as the BDI2000, but perhaps I was thinking about the Majic?

Yup, the Majic is comparable in price to the BDI. And the Majic is where EPI's development (and sales) efforts are focused these days. I think the main feature that Majic boasts over Jeeni is support of multiple cpu cores and better support for the newer cores.

So will the Jeeni work with ARM920T core (the processor we're looking at is the MC9328)

What exactly is involved in setting up the [Jeeni] unit, and how do you operate it? (Again, I do like the idea of not having to run any software besides GDB in order to talk to the hardware.)

Well, there is a configuration utility (runs in DOS/Windows only; at least the BDI came with sources to build their config utility on Linux) that

That would be a minor inconvenience, of course. I'm otherwise using Linux only.

configures the Jeeni with IP address, ARM cpu target and a few other parameters. You configure through the serial port, then use the Ethernet for the debug.

The think I liked about Jeeni is that you only have to do the configuration once. The BDI wants its to get its configuration (via TFT) after every single boot. That's either a feature or a bug, depending on how you look at it.

I really like that. My only objection is that it doesn't fully use bootp or DHCP (as far as I understand), as that would save me from ever having to enter configuration directly into the unit.

To use, just fire up your trusty cross build of gdb (I use arm-elf-gdb) and connect to the Jeeni with the command:

target rdi e=<jeeni hostname or ip address>

So I don't have to run special daemons or anything on the Linux side?

And away you go.

With best regards,

MKE

------