Re: JTAG Pod?

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:17:19AM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:

> > To use, just fire up your trusty cross build of gdb (I use
> > arm-elf-gdb) and connect to the Jeeni with the command:
> >
> > target rdi e=<jeeni hostname or ip address>
>
> So I don't have to run special daemons or anything on the Linux side?

Not for the EPI Jeeni.  The Jeeni speaks ADP (Angle (ARM?)
Debugging Protocol or somesuch). arm-elf-gdb supports the ADP
protocol with the "rdi" target.  For ARM7, Jeeni will save you
some money compared to the Majik or the BDI 2000. It's a solid
product for use with gdb or other debugger -- but it doesn't
know how to burn flash or do memory tests, or have a telnet
server.

The EPI Majik talks a propietary protocol that has to be
converted to gdb's "remote" protocol by a daemon (which doesn't
have to be on the same machine as gdb).  It works, but it's a a
hassle.  IIRC, the Majik has a telnet server that lets you do
low-level stuff (burn flash, test memory) by telnetting
directly to the Majik box.

The BDI 2000 speaks the gdb "remote" protocol directly.  It
also has a telnet server so you can do stuff like burn flash
and test memory w/o a debugger.

Both the EPI Majik and BDI 2000 support a wide range of
processors and have similar features.  I chose BDI mostly so I
didn't have to run a translator daemon.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com