Re: newbie question: how to patch for an arm-920TDI target usingcrosstool?

Wolcott, Ken (MED, Compuware) wrote:
While running demo.sh (crosstool 0.24) on a Red Hat 8.0 system (gcc 3.2 and kernel 2.4.18-14) I receive an error like the following when trying to configure glibc (2.3.2):

  checking LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable... contains current directory
configure: error:
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH shouldn't contain the current directory when
*** building glibc.  Please change the environment variable
*** and run configure again.

crosstool exited at this error. Typing "echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH" now does not display any path pertinent to the build path.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a funny thing to have set at all; is there any reason you can't just unset that variable?

q2: how do I differentiate between a generic arm target and the arm-linux-920TDI target that I need?

Probably by copying arm.dat to arm920t.dat and editing it. e.g. TARGET_CFLAGS="-O -mcpu=920t" GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--with-cpu=920t --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=920t" tells gcc and glibc in as many ways as possible to compile 920t-specific code. If the choice of ARM cpu affects the syscall interface, it's conceivable you might want to copy arm.config to arm920t.config, change that a bit, and point to that instead of arm.config in arm920t.dat. I doubt you'd have to do that, though.

The --with-cpu=920t supposedly makes the resulting gcc default
to -mcpu=920t, but that hasn't worked 100% for me, so you might
need to pass -mcpu=920t when building your programs.

I encourage you to read and understand the build script.

By the way, the target name arm-linux-920TDI would make some
gnu tools barf.  I suggest using target name arm-920t-linux-gnu by editing
arm920t.dat to have the line
TARGET=arm-920t-linux-gnu

q3: How do I obtain a statically linked target cross compiler tool chain?

You want gcc itself to be statically linked? Why? - Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com