Re: Trouble cross-compiling gcc-3.3.2 under MinGW

Peter Barada wrote:
I'm trying to build gcc-3.3.2 --target=m68k-elf under MinGW, and it
bombs running gengtype with the error:

/home/barada/src/gcc/gcc-3.3.2/gcc/../include/ansidecl.h: No such file or directory

I can see the file ansidecl.h and it is indeed in the directory
mentioned, so I'm at a loss...

Has anyone seen this before, or does anyone have any suggestions how I
can proceed?

Maybe it's a permissions problem? Can you cat the file?

The errno is 2(ENOENT), not 13(EACCES), so I don't thinks its a
permission problem.  I wrote a quick-n-dirty program to fopen the
ansidecl.h file, and it fails as well with errno=2.  I can cat the
file form the shell so indeed its there and readable.  So it looks
like the conversion from unix to windows path/filenames is breaking.

GDB just tells me that fopen returned a zero, and errno=2.  Under
MinGW, there's no strace.  I started to step into fopen(), but that
turned into a rats nest without source.

Try writing a little C program that uses open() instead of fopen(); that'll be much easier to trace into, as it'll immediately hit a system call :-)

A few random ideas:

Assuming that also gives errno 2, try again but removing the gcc/../ from
the path, to see if it's the .. causing trouble.

Assuming that also gives errno 2, try putting a file right in /home
and opening that with open().  If that works, try again in /home/barada.
Keep going until you find the highest directory that's broken like this, maybe.

Once you have a minimal test case, go ask on the mingw list, maybe...

Does mingw use the cygwin layer?  If so, maybe they have
an old buggy fork of it, and the cygwin folks already know
how to fix the bug...

- Dan