crt0.S compilation question

Hi,
   I have created my own crt0.S. I would like to know how it is compiled

I just compiiled it using
gcc -c crt0.0 crt0.S

Is this sufficient? When I link it with another simple c program and a linker script I created, gcc complains that it cannot find the symbol _start. If I make _start global in the crt0.S file, it complains that there are multiple definitions for start. Can someone help me regarding this. Please let me know if you need more information.

Really appreciate your help

Thanks
Vish