Re: --multilib

Dan Kegel wrote:

> Stuart Hughes wrote:
> > I've been looking for a clear explanation regarding using multilib with
> > binutils/gcc/glibc.  Does anyone have a link or an explanation of how
> > this works.
> >
> > What I'm trying to work out is if it's possible to have something like
> > an arm toolchain that supports big-endian and little-endian in soft or
> > hard float mode.
>
> Earlier this year I figured out how to multilib a bit.
> http://www.kegel.com/xgcc3/gcc-20020715-ppc405erratum77.patch
> added a way to turn on an extra set of libraries specially
> compiled for ppc405.  I can't remember how it worked
> (it's too painful :-) but maybe you can work it out from
> that patch and from digging in the manual.
> - Dan

Thanks, I'll take a look at the patch.

I've looked in the manuals (info gcc) and I sort of understand that you
can get gcc to make multiple versions of its libraries, and then control
them with flags (e.g -mbig-endian) or with alternate spec files.
However, what always bothers me is that most toolchains incorporate a C
library, and as far as I can tell, this is not multi-lib aware and so I
don't see how you can get the C library to switch.   So for example if
you build glibc little endian, and then you needed to build a 'hello
world' big-endian where would the big-endian libc come from ??

Regards, Stuart