Re: strange linking problem

I am trying to build for the sh4 target that uses newlib instead glibc. I am not exactly sure what you mean by "bare-metal". If it means no operating system, then yes, I am trying to compile a custom RTOS for the sh4-based system.

BTW, I've figured out the issue with _impure_ptr. Newlib uses struct _reent to make standard C library functions reentrant. I just have to have a global variable named _impure_ptr that is a pointer to struct _reent.

However, I still can't figure why ld cant find libc.

From: Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com>
To: Alexander Gdalevich <gdalevich@hotmail.com>
CC: crossgcc@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: strange linking problem
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:04:56 -0800

Alexander Gdalevich wrote:
I've recently build the newest gcc 3.3.2 cross-compiler. It works fine, but I have trouble linking with ld.

Here is the output from gcc when compiling a regular helloworld program:

Program
===============================
hello.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char ** argv)
{
   return fprintf(stderr, "Hello world!\r\n");
}

Output when linked with collect2:

sh-elf-gcc -mb -fno-delayed-branch -O2 -m4 -v hello.c

Reading specs from /gcc_build/sh4/lib/gcc-lib/sh-elf/3.3.2/specs
Configured with: ../gcc-3.3.2/configure --target=sh-elf

Before we dive in: target sh-elf is for newlib / bare metal targets that don't have glibc. Are you quite sure that's what you wanted? - Dan

------
Want more information? See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/