linksys/cisco wrt54g (was Re: testing uClibc patch)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, libber wrote:

> Wierd and important errors like this are common and I can provide more
> if desired.

Please do put them on record.

> The key thing is that they have some modifications for thier
> gcc so once we get a cross-compiling uclibc mipsel gcc we might
> need to add these modifications.

It's hard to tell because they have published modified tarballs which fork
from a snapshot, but I suspect that their modifications are only relevant
for compiling a kernel for their CPU - they have added some workarounds
for bugs in the CPU, adding some flags to cc1:

+  {"4710a0",            -MASK_NO4710A0,                                \
+     N_("Work around BCM4710A0 hardware bugs")},                       \
+  {"no-4710a0",                  MASK_NO4710A0,
\
+     N_("Don't work around BCM4710A0 hardware bugs")},                 \
+  {"4710a0kern",         MASK_NO4710A0,                                \
+     N_("Don't work around BCM4710A0 hardware bugs")},                 \
+  {"4650",               MASK_MAD | MASK_SINGLE_FLOAT,                 \
      N_("Optimize for 4650")},                                         \

The kernel build configuration makes use of these, but as far as I've seen
so far, none of the application building does.

> yet heard back. Oh also I should be explicit and say that the
> linksys hardware itself uses only uclibc even though they have
> a glibc directory in thier tarball, this messed me up for a few
> days.

Version 1.30.7 firmware (shipped with the original 1.0 build) used glibc.
New firmware versions use uclibc 0.9.19.

--
Charlie