Re: crossgcc for mips-redhat-linux-gnu

Chris Jones wrote:

Toralf;

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 01:51:19PM +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target=mips-linux-gnu --define "_host mips-linux-gnu" -define "_build i686-pc-linux-gnu" ./x.src.rpm

- Toralf

This now sets up the proper target, host and build variables on the
configure line. Thanks, I should have known to do this, but at the same
time defining the --target variable should set these up as you
described, IMHO.

Yes. The problem is that the default macro setup (for i686 Linux) has

%_build %{_host}

%_host i686-pc-linux-gnu

%_target %{_host}

This is consistent with the way configure itself usually defaults variables, but doesn't seem logical in the context of --target; something like

%_build i686-pc-linux-gnu

%_target %{_build}

%_host %{_target}

would probably be better. Or maybe rpmbuild ought to have separate "--host" and "--build" options...

Another question is why configure distinguises between "host" and "target" in the first place, since you usually need only two system type values even when cross compiling.

There remains one problem. I would like to avoid touching the .spec files if possible.
Currently I still have to set the following variable inside the .spec:

CFLAGS=-I/opt/crosstool/mips-redhat-linux-gnu/gcc-3.2.3-glibc-2.2.3/mips-redhat-linux-gnu/include

It would be a saving grace if I could either set this last variable from
the command line, or somehow get the environment to pick it up.

Ideas?

Not really. Unless it's as simple as doing "setenv CFLAGS ..." or "export CFLAGS=..." before executing rpmbuild...

- Toralf