From: crossgcc-owner@sources.redhat.com [mailto:crossgcc-owner@sources.redhat.com] On Behalf Of Thierry Moreau
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 9:17 AM
To: crossgcc@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Crossgcc for PowerPC 85xx ( e500 ) ?

Sébastien Douheret wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know where i can find a GNU cross-compiler hosted on
>windows (with Cygwin) to target a Motorola PowerPC 85xx (core e500 or
>BookE) ? I think that GCC 3.3 and binuitls 2.1.4 will be necessary !
>Which are the good options to generate cross-gcc for e500 core ?

Perhaps the way you ask  your question is not easily understood by the
crossgcc active participants.

Even myself (knowledgeable of a couple of the Motorola PowerPC families)
I find sme ambiguities.

In the embedded area, the main Motorola PowerPC cores are
a) the one in the MPC8xx family (no HW floating point, a specific MMU
design)
b) the one in the MPC82xx family (HW floating point, another specific
MMU design)
c) the one in the MPC5200 (...)
plus there are high-performance oriented cores. So, is MPC85xx part of
a) or b)? The reference to E500 appears ambiguous to me and the Book E
is an architecture document covering many implementation variants.

With the never ending processor part numbers that Motorola come up with,
the GCC and CrossGCC participants just can't follow.

The selection of version numbers for GCC, Binutils and a run-time
library is an issue separate from the precise processor model that you
whish to support.

The GCC support of a given PPC core is implemented by compiler command
switches that you specify e.g. in the CFLAGS makefile variable. It is up
to you to get them right (!).

If you whish to use the embedded-oriented run-time library called newlib
for the PowerPC, there is a recurring issue about two-pass
cross-compiler build procedure, for which I have a (rather specific)
solution on my web site.

Good luck.

--

- Thierry Moreau